FAQ: Adoption Travel – Who? When?

Some of the most frequently asked questions we’ve received as we’ve worked our way through this adoption process relate to travel.

First, who will travel? At least one adoptive parent is required to travel. Last time Matt, Miranda, my mom, and I all traveled to adopt Madeleine CaiQun, and it was an amazing trip, and that was absolutely the best decision for our family at that time.

086

This time around, the logistics surrounding traveling as a family would be somewhat more complex given our greater numbers, and it would be tremendously more expensive, and we’re not sure that even if we had that extra money on hand, it would be wise for all of us to travel. Given the young ages of our children, we think it best for one of us to stay home with them and the other to travel. It’s reasonably likely that we’d travel during times Matt is supposed to teach, and on top of that, I’ll be our daughter’s primary caregiver, so it makes most sense for us to encourage her to bond with me first. That means that I’ll travel, and Matt will stay home. And I’m going to take Madeleine CaiQun with me. The cost of bringing one additional child is not all that high, and we saw, on our last trip, how beneficial it was for Mei Mei’s adjustment to our family to have a sibling there with us, and we’re hopeful that having her there will aid in our baby#4’s transition to our family. And of course there is the added benefit that she’ll have the opportunity to return to and visit the country of her birth. Additionally, any two of our children at home always get along better than all three, so my having her with me will hopefully make life at home easier for Matt and my mom, who has graciously agreed to stay home from China and instead help Matt maintain life on the home front.

I would obviously love to have Matt with me on this adventure, but having already traveled to China for an adoption trip once before, doing so without him this time feels manageable. However, I don’t think it would be wise for me to go without at least one other adult. I asked my brother and sister-in-law if either or both of them would be willing to accompany me, and they’ve both graciously agreed to do so, and I’m very grateful for that. They’ll be supportive and helpful and, of course, are much beloved by Madeleine CaiQun 🙂

img_8986

We’ll be a party of 4 traveling to China and party of 5 returning home! I am absolutely dreading leaving Miranda and Atticus for that long – I’ve never been away from them for anything like that length of time, and I’m sure I’ll miss them like crazy. As we’ve talked and prayed about it, though, we’ve become more and more convinced that this is the best travel scenario possible.

While the group of people traveling is pretty well set, our timing is less certain. I’m a part of a number of Facebook groups centered around providing support for families adopting from China, and in one of them there is a pretty reliable chart tracking current timelines for each step throughout the process. If the averages hold, we are likely to get our Letter of Acceptance (LOA), also known as Letter Seeking Confirmation (LSC), sometime this week. Our dossier was out of translation (OOT) last Tuesday, September 13, and we were out of review as of yesterday, Monday, September 19. We have probably lost a little bit of time because the CCCWA (the central governing body in China overseeing everything related to adoptions) was closed September 15 – September 17 for the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival, but they were back to work on Sunday, and usually the next steps (matching and issuing the LSC) are fairly quick, so hopefully we’ll make our way through that this week and get word that our LSC is on its way! This LOA/LSC step usually has the most variation and is thus the most crucial to our timing.

From there, the process gets a little confusing, but essentially we wait for several levels of US Immigration Approval. First we file our I800 (Petition to Classify Convention Adoptee as Immediate Relative) with USCIS. Once that application is approved, our paperwork is forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC), where we will be assigned some new case numbers (our GUZ and invoice numbers) and receive information we’ll need to fill out the DS-260 form to apply for our child’s US immigrant visa. The NVC will also cable our file information to the US Consulate in Guangzhou. As soon as we are able to obtain a copy of the letter verifying that they have done so, our agency will drop off our Article V paperwork with the consulate in Guangzhou. The consulate reviews all of our paperwork and determines that everything is in order, and they issue our Article V to our agency, which is the last US immigration approval we need before traveling. While confusing in their layers, all of these steps are reasonably predictable in their timing, taking approximately 5-6 weeks in total.

At that point, everything is submitted back to the CCCWA, which has to issue us a Travel Approval (TA) – essentially an invitation to come pick up our child. TAs are coming pretty quickly these days – almost all that have been issued most recently have come in less than a week. There is no guarantee that that timing will hold, but we certainly hope it does. Once we have our TA, we request an appointment with the US Consulate in Guangzhou, and as soon as that is confirmed, we can get to work booking our travel! Usually you can leave about 2 weeks after TA is received.

All that to say, from LOA/LSC (which we hope to have this week) to travel can be approximately 9 weeks IF and only if everything goes perfectly. I’m giving us a 1 week grace period and hoping and praying like crazy to leave around December 8 or 9. Please, please, please pray with me that we’re able to do that! If we are able to travel then, we’d be gone for Matt’s finals week and the first week of winter break, which would be a pretty low key time for him at school and should make life here for him and my mom pretty smooth. Then we’d return around December 22 or 23 – just in time to have our family of 6 home for Christmas! It would be crazy – half of our family would be so incredibly jet-lagged for Christmas itself – but we’d be together, and that would be so amazing.

It’s entirely doable for us to travel then, but it’s by no means guaranteed. We really need to get our LOA/LSC this month, preferably this week, in order for it to be possible, and every other step needs to continue to go pretty quickly. If that doesn’t happen, we’ll need to make the decision about whether we travel at the end of December, which would mean getting our girl home faster and having more of Matt’s winter break left to enjoy all together but would also mean spending Christmas with half of us stateside and half in China; or travel in January, which means not traveling over Christmas but then bringing our little one home later and not having as much time over Matt’s Christmas break to settle into life together. I really don’t want to have to make that decision. I really, really want to travel and be home by Christmas. Would you pray with me that that can happen?

Published by

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *